FLM1002: Introduction to Film
FLM2012: Documentary Film
FLM2015: Cinema and Modernism
FLM7012: Political Cinema: Form and Conflict
I work chiefly on comparative and interdisciplinary approaches to the study of film.
My recent publications include Regarding the Real: Cinema, Documentary, and the Visual Arts; and Post-Conflict Performance, Film, and Visual Arts: Cities of Memory (with Mark Phelan). I have published in journals such as Film Quarterly, Studies in Documentary Film, Screen, Quarterly Review of Film and Video, Kinema, Literature/Film Quarterly, and Screening the Past. I currently co-edit the Cinema Aesthetics series, and continue to publish on aspects of Irish film, visual culture, and contemporary literature.
I am currently involved in co-ordinating the following funded research projects:
Achievements and Distinctions
2014: Wellcome Trust Small Grant (PI)
2013: Leverhulme Research Fellowship (PI)
2012: British Academy Small Grant (PI)
1. ‘Eclectic Dialectics: William Klein’s Documentary Method,’ Film Quarterly. 66.1. (2012), pp. 60-69.
2. ‘(Pro)Motion Pictures: Len Lye in the Thirties,’ Quarterly Review of Film and Video. 29.1, 2012. pp. 64-75.
3. ‘New York City: 12 December, 1980,’ Studies in Documentary Film. 5. 1 (2011), pp. 31-44.
4. ‘Towards a Poetics of the Cinematographic Frame,’ Journal of Aesthetics and Culture. 3 (1) (2011), pp. 1-13.
5. ‘Cinema Lucida: Johan van der Keuken and the Meaning of Loss,’ Screening the Past. 29 (2010).
6. ‘The Fraternity of Metaphors: Jean-Luc Godard's Film Socialisme,’ Kinema: Journal of Film and Media. 34.2 (2010), pp. 5-18.
7. ‘Inviolable Attachments: Kitano Takeshi’s Dolls (2002),’ Screening the Past. 21. 2007.
8. ‘Ten Minutes for John Lennon,’ Film Studies: An International Review, 9 (2007).
9. ‘The Great Secret: Silence, Cinema and Modernism,’ Screen. 47 (4) (2006), pp. 395-405.
10. ‘Venice in Film: The Postcard and the Palimpsest,’ Literature Film Quarterly.33 (3) (2005), pp. 224-232.
11. ‘Beyond Representation: I Could Read the Sky and Irish Cinema,’ Canadian Journal of Irish Studies. 28.2/29.1 (2003), pp. 84-97.
12. ‘At Home with Horror: Neil Jordan's Gothic Variations,’ Irish Studies Review. 11.2 (2003), pp. 189-198.
1. ‘Voyage(s) to Sarajevo: Jean Luc-Godard’, Post-Conflict Performance, Film and Visual Arts: Cities of Memory, O’Rawe, D. & Phelan, M. (eds.), Palgrave Macmillan, 2016.
2. ‘Irish Cinema and Adaptation,’ Blackwell Companion to British and Irish Cinema, Hill, J. (ed), Oxford: Blackwell, 2016)
3. ‘Film Sound and the Poetics of Silence,’ Sound and Music in Film and Visual Media: A Critical Overview. Harper, G. (ed.). Continuum Press. 2009. pp. 68-81.
4. ‘Cinema of Masks: Commedia dell'Arte and Jean Renoir’s The Golden Coach,’ in Clowns, Fools and Picaros: Popular Forms in Theatre, Fiction and Film. Robb, D. (ed.). Rodopi Press (Amsterdam), 2007. pp. 147-161.
5. ‘The Northern Other: (Southern) Irish Cinema and the Troubles,’ Representing the Troubles: Texts and Images. Walshe, E. & Cliff, B. (eds.). Four Courts Press, 2004 pp. 93-105.
6. ‘Language and the Irish Cinema Question,’ Towards our Goals: Broadcasting, the Press, the Performing Arts and the Economy. Kirk, J. M. & Baoill, D. Ó. (eds.). Cló Ollscoil na Banríona/Queen's University, 2003, p. 143-148.
7. ‘Film Forms and Folklore Tales: Timothy Neat’s Play Me Something,’ Ireland (Ulster) Scotland: Concepts, Contexts and Comparisons. Longley, E., Hughes, E. & O’Rawe, D. (eds.). Queen’s University/Cló Ollscoil na Banríonap. 2003. pp. 157-163.
8. ‘Dissidence and Desire in Frank McGuinness’s Observe the Sons of Ulster Marching Towards the Somme and Carthaginians,’ New Voices in Irish Criticism, Mathews, P. J. (ed.). Four Courts, 2000, pp. 155-164.
9. ‘(Mis)Translating Tragedy: Irish Poets and Greek Plays,’ Theatre: Ancient and Modern. Hardwick, L., Easterling, P., Ireland, S., Lowe, N. & Macintosh, F. (eds.). Milton: Keynes: Open University, 1999, p. 109-124.
1. Post-Conflict Performance, Film and Visual Arts: Cities of Memory. O’Rawe, D. & Phelan, M. (eds.), (Palgrave Macmillan, 2015 ) 336p
2. Screening the Past: Special Issue: Cinema/Photography, 29 (2010).
3. Cinema-Italy by Stefania Parigia, S. Rohdie (trans.), D O’Rawe (ed.) (Manchester University Press, 2009)
4. Screening the Past: Special Issue: Cinema/Theatre, 21 (2007)
5. Ireland (Ulster) Scotland: Concepts, Contexts, Comparisons: Proceedings of ISAI 2002, 20-22 September 2002, Longley, E., Hughes, E. & O'Rawe, D. (eds.) Cló Ollscoil na Banríona. 2003.
Shorter Essays, Reviews, and Interviews have appeared in: Fortnight, Screening the Past, Irish Review, Canadian Journal of Irish Studies, Causeway, Irish Studies Review, HU, Contemporary Philosophy and Film, Encyclopaedia of Ireland, Film and Film Culture.
Research output: Book/Report › Book
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter (peer-reviewed)
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
ISSNs (Electronic): 1328-9756
ISSNs (Electronic): 14699303
European Cinemas, Intercultural Meetings: Aesthetics, Politics, Industry, History An ECREA Film Studies Section Conference 13–14 November 2015 University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Activity: Conference participation › Participation in conference
Activity: Public engagement and outreach › Work on advisory panels for social community and cultural engagement
Activity: Public engagement and outreach › Public lecture/debate/seminar
Contribution to conference papers, events and activities