Projects per year
- Primary prevention and health promotion in childhood
- School Mental Health (school readiness and transititions)
- Enhancing the nursing contribution and quality of care in the field of public health
I am a lecturer in Children and Young People's Nursing and an NMC registered Specialist Public Health Nurse. I have over 20 years experience in academic research and teaching around the health needs of families of children and young people particularly those from disadvantaged backgrounds. My PhD explored parental engagement with schools with a particular focus on children's social and emotional development. Building on this my research and scholarly activity has contributed to enhancing the nursing contribution and quality of care in the field of public health, maternal health and childhood development.
Methodologically, my research is grounded in public health approaches to promoting prevention and early intervention to feed into evidence based practices. I have led on and supported a number of large scale research projects (involving complex structures such as longitudinal follow up at 5 time-points). I have considerable experience working alongside a wide range of stakeholders to evaluate intervention effectiveness using research methods which include realist synthesis, experimental methods, process evaluations and surveys.
- Public Health Agency (NI) Member of the Infant Mental Health Regional Implementation Group
- Innovation Zones (QUB) - Innovation Zones Fellow
- Member of the Crescendo Management Committee
- Expert external reviewer for the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) (Child Development)
- Ethics Proportionate Reviewer for Medicine, Health & Life Sciences Faculty
- Module Lead: Child Care and the Law (HSN2023)
- Module Co-Lead: Quality Improvement in an Inter-Professional Context (Part A) Graduate Entry Masters in Nursing (GEM7104)
- Module Deputy Lead: Quality Improvement in an Inter-Professional Context (Part B) Graduate Entry Masters in Nursing (GEM7105)
- Module Lecturer: Professionalism, Caring and Communication in Nursing, Graduate Entry Masters in Nursing (GEM7101)
- Module Lecturer: Supporting CYP and their Families with Effective Transitions: Lecture title - Role of School Mental Health and School Transitions (Under Graduate CYP nurses) (NCB3136)
- Module Lecturer: Community & Collaborative Working: Lecture title - Health Visiting and Community Nursing Care (Year 3 Under Graduate Nurses from mixed fields) (NAM3136).
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
05/02/2019 → …
29/04/2020 → 15/11/2022
R1332SES: Evaluation and development of logic model for the ‘Try This’ Experiential Emotional Resilience programme for Key Stage 3, 4 & 5 students.
23/01/2020 → 30/04/2021
28/10/2016 → 31/10/2019
Common health assets protocol: a mixed-methods, realist evaluation and economic appraisal of how community led organisations (CLOs) impact on the health and well-being of people living in deprived areasBaker, R., Ahmed, M., Bertotti, M., Cassidy, J., Chipuriro, R., Clewett, E., Donaldson, C., Elders, A., Fenge, L. A., Fox, J., Galway, K., Gildea, A., McGuinness, A., McLean, J., Manoukian, S., Mason, H., Morgan, A., Mulholland, J., O'Hare, L., Patterson, A., & 7 others, 16 Mar 2023, In: BMJ Open. 13, 3, 8 p., e069979.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile13 Downloads (Pure)
Comparing the effectiveness of two reciprocal reading comprehension interventions for primary school pupils in disadvantaged schoolsO'Hare, L., Stark, P., Cockerill, M., Lloyd, K., McConnellogue, S., Gildea, A., Biggart, A., Bower, C. & Connolly, P., 22 Jun 2023, (Early online date) In: British Journal of Educational Psychology. 23 p., e12623.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile10 Downloads (Pure)
Gildea, A., Lord, P. & Bradley, C., 10 Oct 2023.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper › peer-review
O'Hare, L., Orr, K., Waite, S. J., O'Hara, L., Sweet, D., Gildea, A., Redpath, J., Davidson, R., Dunne, L. & Miller, S., Nov 2022, 104 p.
Research output: Book/Report › Other reportOpen AccessFile204 Downloads (Pure)
Mulholland, J., Galway, K., O'Hare, L., Bertotti, M. & Gildea, A., Jun 2022, (Unpublished) 9 p.
Research output: Working paperFile49 Downloads (Pure)
O'Hare, Liam (Recipient), Stark, Patrick (Recipient) & Gildea, Aideen (Recipient), 2020
Prize: Other distinction
Gildea, Aideen (Recipient), Nov 2008
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)
Aideen Gildea (Invited speaker)18 Jan 2023
Activity: Talk or presentation types › Invited talk
Aideen Gildea (Speaker)26 Oct 2018
Activity: Participating in or organising an event types › Participation in conference
Aideen Gildea (Member)08 Aug 2018 → Feb 2020
Activity: Membership types › Membership of peer review panel or committee
1 item of Media coverage
1 item of Media coverage