Projects per year
Dr Bronagh Byrne is Co-Director of the Centre for Children's Rights and co-founder of the Disability Research Network. Bronagh's research expertise lies in the implementation of international disability rights and children’s rights to national policy and practice with a particular focus on the application of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. She is also interested in the rights and experiences of disabled and d/Deaf children and young people, inclusive education, transitions, and disability theory. Bronagh has published in a range of journals including International Journal of Children's Rights, Children and Society, International Journal of Inclusive Education and Disability and Society.
Current and Recent Projects
- Developing Child Friendly UNCRC (2018-2019) GlobalChild Rights Dialogue, (with Laura Lundy and Michelle Templeton)
- Access to Justice for Deaf People - Implementing Article 13 of the UNCRPD, DRILL (2018-2020) with British Deaf Association, Syracuse University and Rowan University.
- The Rights of Children with Disabilities in the Digital Environment, Council of Europe (2017-2018) (with Laura Lundy)
- Acceptability and usefulness of ‘My Healthcare Passport' to young people with life-limiting conditions. Marie Curie Research Funding (2016-2018) (with Pete O'Halloran, Dorry McLaughlin, Michaela Hollywood, Jayne Price, Aine Abbott, Max Watson)
- Evaluation of Unicef UK Child Rights Partners Programme,Unicef UK (2016-2017) (with Siobhan McAlister and Katrina Lloyd)
- Reporting on Best Practice in Cross-Departmental Working, funded by Northern Ireland Commissioner for Children and Young People(with Lisa Maguire and Laura Lundy). Completed September 2015. http://www.niccy.org/publications/2015/september/30/joined-up-working-report/
- ECNI Update Project: Shortfalls in public policy and programme delivery in Northern Ireland relative to the Articles of the UNCRPD, funded by Equality Commission for Northern Ireland (with Colin Harper). Completed July 2014
- Transitions for Young People with Hearing Loss (with Siobhan McAlister), funded by Action on Hearing Loss. Completed June 2014.
- Implementing Children’s Rights in Northern Ireland: A Collaboration Project with the Northern Ireland Commissioner for Children and Young People (NICCY), (with Laura Lundy), funded by ESRC. Completed September 2013.
- Bringing Children’s Rights into Domestic Law: An International Review (with Laura Lundy and Ursula Kilkelly), funded by UNICEF UK. Completed September 2012.
- Transitions to Adult Services for Young People with Learning Disabilities in Northern Ireland (with Laura Lundy), funded by the Northern Ireland Commissioner for Children and Young People. Completed August 2012.
- A Human Rights Review of the Northern Ireland Education System, (with Laura Lundy and Lesley Emerson), funded by Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission, Completed May 2012
- Barriers to Effective Government Delivery for Children in Northern Ireland (with Laura Lundy), Funded by the Northern Ireland Commissioner for Children and Young People. Completed June 2012, See http://www.niccy.org/article.aspx?menuId=12794
- Monitoring Implementation (public policy and programmes) of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Northern Ireland (with Disability Action), funded by Equality Commission for Northern Ireland. Completed January 2012. See http://www.equalityni.org/sections/default.asp?cms=Research%5FResearch+projects_recent+projects&cmsid=90_92_407&id=407&secid=7#dispro
- Ready to Learn: Involving Children in the Service Design Process (with Laura Lundy and Lesley Emerson), Funded by Barnardo’s Northern Ireland. Completed March 2010.
Leadership Roles (Teaching)
Programme Director (MSc Children's Rights) (2018 -)
Programme Director (BA Social Policy) (2015-2018)
SPY3014 Disability and Society (Module Convenor)
SPY1005 Themes and Issues in Social Policy
SPY1004 Introducing Social Policy
SPY3019 Gender, the Family and Social Policy
Undergraduate dissertation supervisor
SOC9047 Perspectives in Childhood and Youth
SOC9048 Childhood and Youth Research in Practice
EDU7223 Childhood Disability and Rights
EDU7290 Children's Rights and Participation
PG Dissertation Supervisor
Other Leadership Roles
Co-Director, Centre for Children's Rights
Co-Founder, Disability Research Network
NINE Pathway Lead - Children, Young People and Families
01/02/2021 → …
R3683SSP: Reporting on Best Practice in Cross-departmental Working Practices for Children and Young People
25/02/2015 → …
01/08/2011 → …
12/12/2013 → 13/06/2014
Getting In and Getting On? The Experiences of Young People with Visual Impairments and Hearing Impairments in Third-Level EducationByrne, B., 2014, In: International Journal of Disability, Development and Education. 61, 2, p. 119-133 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile8 Citations (Scopus)333 Downloads (Pure)
Incorporation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child in Law: A Comparative ReviewLundy, L., Kilkelly, U. & Byrne, B., 2013, In: International Journal of Children's Rights. 21, 3, p. 442-463 22 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile27 Citations (Scopus)3542 Downloads (Pure)
Byrne, B. & Lundy, L., 2015, In: Children and Society. 29, 4, p. 266-276 11 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile8 Citations (Scopus)548 Downloads (Pure)
Hidden Contradictions and Conditionality: Conceptualisations of Inclusive Education in International LawByrne, B., 2013, In: Disability and Society. 28, 2, p. 232-244
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review30 Citations (Scopus)74 Downloads (Pure)
Bronagh Byrne (Keynote speaker)Mar 2021
Activity: Talk or presentation types › Invited or keynote talk at national or international conference
Bronagh Byrne (Invited speaker)21 Oct 2020
Activity: Talk or presentation types › Invited talk
From Ability to (Dis)ability: A bourdieudian Analysis and Case Study of the Experiences of Young Adults in Utilising Post-16 Educational Provision in Northern IrelandAuthor: Byrne, B. S., Jul 2007
Supervisor: McLaughlin, E. (Supervisor)
Student thesis: Doctoral Thesis › Doctor of PhilosophyFile