Projects per year
I am Lead of the Cancer Epidemiology Research Group at the Centre for Public Health at Queen's University Belfast. I am joint Deputy Director of the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry.
My research mostly focuses on the epidemiology and early detection of gastrointestinal cancers and conditions, including pre-malignant conditions. I have particular interests in:
- Barrett's oesophagus and oesophageal adenocarcinoma (major ongoing studies include: PI of the Northern Ireland Barrett's oesophagus register; OCCAMS consortium sub-study investigator)
- Colorectal polyps and colorectal cancer (major ongoing studies include: NI Biobank Epi700 cohort; NI Bowel Cancer Screening pathology data analysis; Early-onset colorectal cancer studies).
- Modifiable risk factors, such as smoking, alcohol and nutrition, in cancer risk and progression
- Gastrointestinal pathology diagnosis trends and concordance (member of the International Barrett's Pathology Working Group)
I have expertise in molecular epidemiology (incuding molecular pathology epidemiology) studies, statistical analysis of population-based disease registers and real world evidence, and systematic reviews of lifestyle factors and biomarkers in cancer risk and progression.
I place considerable emphasis on interdisciplinary research, and am affiliated to the Patrick G. Johnston Centre for Cancer Research at Queen's University Belfast. I have previously spent time conducting research at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA, Ulster University, and at the MRC-Human Nutrition Research centre in Cambridge, England. Since 2018, I am a Visiting Scientist with the Fitzgerald Lab at the MRC Cancer Unit, Cambridge, to further enhance interdisciplinary research efforts in oesophageal cancer as part of a Cancer Research UK funded Career Establishment Award.
- Postgraduate research: I have supervised 6 PhD, 1 MD and 1 MPhil postgraduate research students to completion. I am currently supervising 6 PhD students (2 as primary supervisor), 1 MD and 1 MPhil student. I have experience in supervising clinical trainees from Gastroenterology, General Practice, Oncology and Surgery specialites. Students have originated from the UK, Ireland, Vietnam, China, Turkey, Uganda and Angola.
- Masters in Public Health: I mentor and supervise 1 MPH student dissertation each year.
- BSc Human Biology; BSc Biomedical Sciences; BSc Intercalating Medical Sciences: I usually supervise 1-2 BSc dissertation students each year.
- BMS 2109 Public Health Sciences module co-ordinator
- Case-based learning facilitator, 1st year Medicine
Other teaching roles
I deliver tutorials and lectures on population research, study designs, global cancer incidence trends, nutrition and cancer epidemiology to undergraduate Medicine, and postgraduate Masters in Public Health and Masters in Molecular Pathology students. I was Module co-ordinator of the 3rd year Spring Student Selected Components from 2013-2018.
- Cancer Research UK Population Research Committee funding panel member 2018-ongoing
- Yorkshire Cancer Research Fund Research Advisory Panel member 2020-ongoing
- Ulster Society of Gastroenterology committee Scientific Officer 2017-2021
- International Molecular Pathology Epidemiology 'Rising Investigator' award 2016
- Cancer Research UK Population Research Postdoctoral Fellowship 2013-2015
- Associate member of the British Society of Gastroenterology 2010-ongoing
- World Cancer Research Fund International Fellow 2010
06/10/2019 → …
Kee, F., Cantwell, M., Clarke, M., Coleman, H., Connolly, P., Cupples, M., Donnelly, M., French, D., Hutchinson, G., Kouvonen, A., Longo, A., Marshall, A., McCann, J., McKinley, M., Moore, M., Murray, L., O'Reilly, D., Patterson, C., Tully, M., Woodside, J. & Young, I.
01/08/2012 → …
Identifying mismatch repair deficient colon cancer near perfect concordance between immunohistochemistry and microsatellite instability testing in a large, population-based seriesLoughrey, M. B., McGrath, J., Coleman, H. G., Bankhead, P., Maxwell, P., McGready, C., Bingham, V., Humphries, M. P., Craig, S. G., McQuaid, S., Salto-Tellez, M. & James, J. A., Feb 2021, In: Histopathology. 78, 3, p. 401-413
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)2 Downloads (Pure)
Immune cell infiltrates as prognostic biomarkers in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: a systematic review and meta‐analysisMcGuigan, A. J., Coleman, H. G., McCain, R. S., Kelly, P. J., Johnston, D. I., Taylor, M. A. & Turkington, R. C., Mar 2021, In: Journal of Pathology: Clinical Research. 7, 2, p. 99-112
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile10 Downloads (Pure)
Turkington, R., Lavery, A., Donnelly, D., Cairnduff, V., McManus, D. & Coleman, H., 26 Jan 2021, In: Gastroenterology.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile14 Downloads (Pure)
Alcohol intake, tobacco smoking, and esophageal adenocarcinoma survival: a molecular pathology epidemiology cohort studyMcCain, R. S., McManus, D. T., McQuaid, S., James, J. A., Salto-Tellez, M., Reid, N. B., Craig, S., Chisambo, C., Bingham, V., McCarron, E., Parkes, E., Turkington, R. C. & Coleman, H. G., 01 Jan 2020, In: Cancer Causes and Control. 31, 1, p. 1-11
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)69 Downloads (Pure)
Circulating Sex Hormones Are Associated With Gastric and Colorectal Cancers but Not Esophageal Adenocarcinoma in the UK BiobankMcMenamin, Ú., Liu, P., Kunzmann, A., Cook, M., Coleman, H., Johnston, B., Cantwell, M. & Cardwell, C., 04 Nov 2020, In: The American journal of gastroenterology. 2020, p. 1
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Coleman, Helen (Recipient), May 2015
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)
Helen Coleman (Member of the organising committee)27 Apr 2017 → 28 Apr 2017
Activity: Participating in or organising an event types › Participation in conference
Fouad Yousef (Participant), Christopher Cardwell (Participant), Marie Cantwell (Participant), Karen Galway (Participant), Liam Murray (Participant), Lesley Anderson (Participant), Suzanne Murphy (Participant), Deirdre Fitzpatrick (Participant), Brian Johnston (Participant), Robert Watson (Participant), Peter McCarron (Participant), Anna Gavin (Participant), Shivaram Bhat (Participant), Helen Coleman (Participant), Damian McManus (Participant) & Helen Coleman (Participant)
Impact: Health Impact, Quality of Life Impact