Currently researching the life and times of Alexander Brown; Ulster émigré and founder of the first indigenous investment bank in the new United States. I am particularly interested in the local, regional and transatlantic networks that enabled the incredible economic growth of the Brown Dynasty.
My research spans the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries and places equal focus on archival material from both Ireland and the United States.
Key themes I am concerned with include;
- 18thC. Irish economic & social history
- Irish political radicalism, United Irishmen and 1798 Rebellion
- Irish migration to the United States, and Scotch-Irish communities
- 19thC. US economic development
- Development of a financial & banking sector in the United States
- Transatlantic economic history, with particular focus on merchant finance, commodities trading, foreign exchange markets and shipping