Projects per year
My research is centred on promoting bone repair and in developing novel biomaterials for bone graft replacement. My current research projects include investigating novel bioactives from marine organisms to stimulate bone formation, controling the resorption of orthopaedic implants and investigating predictors of the adult progenitor cell reserve.
Leadership Roles (QUB)
Chair of the Animal Welfare and Ethical Review Board (current)
Chair of QUB Athena SWAN Network (2015-2020)
School Athena SWAN Co-Champion (2014-2020)
Module co-ordinator for Evidence Based Nursing 2
Leadership Roles (External)
Member of the National Athena SWAN PTO Staff Subgroup (current)
Chair of the Regional AWERB Hub (current)
Founder member of the Athena SWAN Network for Nursing and Midwifery (current)
Treasurer of the Northern Ireland Biomedical Engineering Society
Evidence Based Nursing 2, BSc Nursing
Applied Life Science, Year 2, BSc Nursing
Essentials of Pharmacology, Year 2, BSc Nursing
Current Graduate Supervision
Steven McKelvey, Nichola Ejaz, Abdulaziz Alanazi, Mona Alradhdi, Anushree Gastidar (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Eningeering)
Currently Funded Projects
1. Unravelling patient predictors of stem cell expansion in an orthopaedic setting. SA Clarke. DfE and NICRF seed funding.
2. Controlled strontium release from resorbable devices to improve osteoporotic fracture fixation. FJ Buchanan, SA Clarke. Dunhill Medical Trust.
Completed Research Projects
1. Demonstrating superior performance of novel medical implants. FJ Buchanan, SA Clarke. INVEST NI Proof of Concept Phase 2 and PoC Plus extension.
2. Potential osteogenicity of marine extracts from Irish waters: screening for bioactivity. SA Clarke
3. Marine inspired biosilica-filled adhesive complex coacervates: DimDOM. Personal fellowship for PJ Walsh. Co-applicants: J Bothwell, SA Clarke. Marie Curie Outgoing Fellowship, EU funded Programme.
4. Evaluation of the osteogenic properties of a marine based tricomposite. H McMahon, SA Clarke. MSc Bursary, Insitute of Technology Tralee.
5. Computer simulation of biodegradation scaffolds: Validation against experiments and implementation for tissue engineering. P Prendergast, F Buchanan, N Dunne, SA Clarke.Science Foundation Ireland funding- North-Supplement scheme
6. Simulation of cell mediated bioresorption of calcium phosphate bone substitutes. FJ Buchanan, NJ Dunne, SA Clarke, Robert Mathys Foundation
7. Calcium Phosphate Cements for Bone Augmentation through Vertebroplasty R Wilcox, F Buchanan, N Dunne, SA Clarke, J Orr, D Barton EPSRC
8. Changes in the Osteogenic potential of Bone Marrow Stromal Cells with ageing. SA Clarke, DR Marsh. Smith and Nephew Orthopaedics
9. Gene Therapy for Osteogenesis Imperfecta. G J Farrar, S Millington-Ward, GR Jordan, SA Clarke, DR Marsh. Ireland-Northern Ireland Co-operation – Research Project Grants, R&D Office.
10. The stimulation of new bone formation around a tibial implant using simvastatin. N Rushton and SA Clarke. Arthritis Research Campaign
Clarke, S. A., 22 Oct 2020, In: Bone and Joint Research. 9, 10, p. 729-730 2 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Editorial › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile7 Downloads (Pure)
Correction: Screening for osteogenic activity in extracts from Irish marine organisms: The potential of Ceramium pallidumCarson, M. A., Nelson, J., Leonor Cancela, M., Laizé, V., Gavaia, P. J., Rae, M., Heesch, S., Verzin, E., Gilmore, B. F. & Clarke, S. A., 23 Jan 2019, In: PLoS ONE. 14, 1, e0211395.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Comment/debate › peer-reviewOpen Access
Enhanced Release of Calcium Phosphate Additives from Bioresorbable Orthopaedic Devices using Irradiation Technology is Non-Beneficial in a Rabbit ModelPalmer, I., Clarke, S. A. & Buchanan, F. J., 28 Jun 2019, In: Bone and Joint Research. 8, p. 266–274
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)184 Downloads (Pure)
Walsh, P., McGrath, S., McKelvey, S., Ford, L., Sheldrake, G. & Clarke, S., 28 Feb 2019, In: Marine Drugs.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)148 Downloads (Pure)
Whey Protein Complexes with Green Tea Polyphenols: Antimicrobial, Osteoblast-Stimulatory, and Antioxidant ActivitiesCarson, M., Keppler, J. K., Brackman, G., Dawood, D., Vandrovcova, M., Fawzy El-Sayed, K., Coenye, T., Schwarz, K., Clarke, S., Skirtach, A. G. & Douglas, T. EL., 24 Jan 2019, (Early online date) In: Cells, tissues, organs.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile8 Citations (Scopus)92 Downloads (Pure)
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)
23 Jan 2020 → 15 May 2021
Activity: Other activity types › Other