Projects per year
My research is centred on promoting bone repair and in developing novel biomaterials for bone graft replacement. My current research projects include investigating novel bioactives from marine organisms to stimulate bone formation, controling the resorption of orthopaedic implants and investigating predictors of the adult progenitor cell reserve.
Leadership Roles (QUB)
Athena SWAN Co-Champion
Module co-ordinator for Evidence Based Nursing 2 (September intake)
Module co-ordinator for postgraduate module Clinical Inquiry and Applied Practice Research
Leadership Roles (External)
Treasurer of the Northern Ireland Biomedical Engineering Society
- Evidence Based Nursing 2, BSc Nursing
- Dimensions of Care, Year 2, BSc Nursing
- Clinical Inquiry and Applied Practice Research, MSc and PgDip pathways
- Critical Care Nursing
Current Graduate Supervision
Matt Carson, Hannah Little (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Eningeering)
Currently Funded Projects
1. Demonstrating superior performance of novel medical implants. FJ Buchanan, SA Clarke. INVEST NI Proof of Concept Phase 2 and PoC Plus extension.
2. Potential osteogenicity of marine extracts from Irish waters: screening for bioactivity. SA Clarke
Completed Research Projects
1. Marine inspired biosilica-filled adhesive complex coacervates: DimDOM. Personal fellowship for PJ Walsh. Co-applicants: J Bothwell, SA Clarke. Marie Curie Outgoing Fellowship, EU funded Programme.
2. Evaluation of the osteogenic properties of a marine based tricomposite. H McMahon, SA Clarke. MSc Bursary, Insitute of Technology Tralee.
3. Computer simulation of biodegradation scaffolds: Validation against experiments and implementation for tissue engineering. P Prendergast, F Buchanan, N Dunne, SA Clarke.Science Foundation Ireland funding- North-Supplement scheme
4. Simulation of cell mediated bioresorption of calcium phosphate bone substitutes. FJ Buchanan, NJ Dunne, SA Clarke, Robert Mathys Foundation
5. Calcium Phosphate Cements for Bone Augmentation through Vertebroplasty R Wilcox, F Buchanan, N Dunne, SA Clarke, J Orr, D Barton EPSRC
6. Changes in the Osteogenic potential of Bone Marrow Stromal Cells with ageing. SA Clarke, DR Marsh. Smith and Nephew Orthopaedics
7. Gene Therapy for Osteogenesis Imperfecta. G J Farrar, S Millington-Ward, GR Jordan, SA Clarke, DR Marsh. Ireland-Northern Ireland Co-operation – Research Project Grants, R&D Office.
8. The stimulation of new bone formation around a tibial implant using simvastatin. N Rushton and SA Clarke. Arthritis Research Campaign
Clarke, S. A., 22 Oct 2020, In : Bone and Joint Research. 9, 10, p. 729-730 2 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Editorial › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Correction: Screening for osteogenic activity in extracts from Irish marine organisms: The potential of Ceramium pallidumCarson, M. A., Nelson, J., Leonor Cancela, M., Laizé, V., Gavaia, P. J., Rae, M., Heesch, S., Verzin, E., Gilmore, B. F. & Clarke, S. A., 23 Jan 2019, In : PLoS ONE. 14, 1, e0211395.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Comment/debate › peer-reviewOpen Access
Enhanced Release of Calcium Phosphate Additives from Bioresorbable Orthopaedic Devices using Irradiation Technology is Non-Beneficial in a Rabbit ModelPalmer, I., Clarke, S. A. & Buchanan, F. J., 28 Jun 2019, In : Bone and Joint Research. 8, p. 266–274
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)204 Downloads (Pure)
Walsh, P., McGrath, S., McKelvey, S., Ford, L., Sheldrake, G. & Clarke, S., 28 Feb 2019, In : Marine Drugs.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)177 Downloads (Pure)
Whey Protein Complexes with Green Tea Polyphenols: Antimicrobial, Osteoblast-Stimulatory, and Antioxidant ActivitiesCarson, M., Keppler, J. K., Brackman, G., Dawood, D., Vandrovcova, M., Fawzy El-Sayed, K., Coenye, T., Schwarz, K., Clarke, S., Skirtach, A. G. & Douglas, T. EL., 24 Jan 2019, In : Cells, tissues, organs.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile6 Citations (Scopus)96 Downloads (Pure)
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)
Susan Clarke (Member)16 Nov 2020 → …
Activity: Membership types › Membership of national or international committees and working groups
Susan Clarke (Participant)07 Sep 2020 → 08 Sep 2020
Activity: Participating in or organising an event types › Participation in conference