- School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work - Lecturer (Education)
For media contact email email@example.com
or call +44(0)2890 973091.
I coordinate and teach on the PGCHET programme.
I conduct research in both Higher Education Teaching as well as carrying out a range pedagogical research activities.
I am particularly interested in:
- The use of emerging Educational and Assistive Technologies
- The pedagogies underpinning teaching in Higher Education
- The philosophy of Higher Education, including the international dimensions of Higher Education
- Student misconceptions in Higher Education
- Strategies for improving student achievement in Higher Education
Higher Education in University and International Education
- Contributed to a Book Chapter published in 2013 by Manchester University Press, Lifelong Learning, the Arts and Creative Cultural Engagement in the Contemporary University eds D. Clover and K. Sanford.
This chapter deals with research carried out during a PGR course delivered in the University to groups of PhD students on the topic of Creative Thinking and Problem Solving – over the course of five years.
- Paper presented at the 4th Annual International Technology, Education and Development Conference,(INTED 2009) March 7th – March 9th 2009, Valencia, Spain, “Session Technological Issues: e-Learning – Current Developments and Applications of Virtual Learning Environments
- Paper delivered at conference on e-Learning Stirling University June 2009, “e-Learning in Higher Education Contexts”
- Delivering a Workshop Session for a Conference for the Essential Skills Project, School of Education, Queen’s University, 2008
- Paper Presented at St Patrick’s College Dublin in the Irish Conference on Arts Based Educational Research. http://www.spd.dcu.ie/main/location/index.shtml, “Using collage to explore research processes on a skills training programme for postgraduate research students.” Shelley Tracey and Joe Allen, 23rd June, 2009.
- Paper presented at the Educational Studies Association of Ireland (ESAI 2009) Annual Conference, Hotel Kilkenny, Eire, “New Technologies for Learning and Teaching: Bringing it into the mainstream,”
- 4th of APRIL 2009. (This paper was part of a seminar session jointly organised with two other colleagues from Queen’s University, School of Education.
- Paper presented at the Fourth Student-led research conference, ‘New Technologies for Learning and Teaching’ School of Education Queen’s University, Belfast, Thursday, May 08, 2008.
- Paper presented at the Third Student-led research conference, ‘POD casts – an Educational Perspective’ School of Education Queens University, Belfast. Thursday, May 18, 2007.
Paper presented at the 4th Annual International Technology, Education and Development Conference,
(INTED 2007)March 7th March 9th 2007, Valencia, Spain, “Session Technological Issues: e-Learning – Current Developments and Applications of Virtual Learning Environments.
Engineering and Microelectronics
I have nine publications in total in the area of engineering, I have included two examples of this body of work below,
- Assembly Feature Article in the October 1993 Volume 24, Number 6, edition of Microelectronics Journal, (Incorporating the Journal of Semi-custom ICs), pp. 602-607, ISSN 0026-2692, "Current Applications of Knowledge Based System Technologies for The Soldering of Printed Board Assemblies", Published by Elsevier Science Ltd., Mayfield House, Oxford, England OX2 7DH
- Technical Paper Published in The Journal of Electronics Manufacturing, Volume 5, Number 1, march 1995, pp. 57-63, ISSN 0960-3131, "A Design for Manufacture Knowledge based System in Printed Board Assembly Production for Nortel (Northern Ireland Ltd.)", Published by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd, Farrer Road, P.O. Box 128, Singapore 9128
Willingness to take PhD. students
I am open to PhD applications in the fields of:
- Investigations of Higher Education and related Andragogies
- Investigations of Higher Education approaches in Multidisciplinary settings
Contribution to conference papers, events and activities